Ordering and measuring tips for the do-it-yourselfer
Before You Go
Now that you've decided you want new window coverings, and that you're going to "Do-It-Yourself" rather than hire a professional designer, it's time to visit your favorite retail location to order your new blinds and shades. Before you go, complete the Printable Planning Checklist to determine your needs. You can also make some preliminary color choices by visiting our Virtual Decorator. Note that this website is for informational purposes only, and not a site from which you can purchase your window treatments.
When you get to the store, go to the window coverings area and start looking through the various Graber® sample books for the product type(s) you are interested in. Sample books feature all of the styles and colors available in each product line for you to "touch and feel" and select the right color for your home. When choosing a style and color, be sure to keep the rest of your room's décor and colors in mind. If you have used the Virtual Decorator function, you can also print out your selections (See Printable Summary) when you visit your window covering retailer.
Features & Options
Sample books also detail all of the features and options that are available to you based on your special needs — each product line offers a wide variety of control types and control locations, headrails and valances, as well as no-charge, and additional charge, options to give you a custom product to fit your individual needs. Store associates will provide expert assistance — answering your questions and assisting you in determining the cost and placing your order correctly. And many locations offer both measuring and installation services — don't forget to ask about them.
Click here for our easy measuring instructions. Here are a few tips to remember when measuring:
- Always use a steel tape measure rather than a cloth one – cloth tapes may
stretch and give you an inaccurate measurement
- Always measure each window individually as size variations are common
- Record width first, from left to right
- Then record height (also known as length), from top to bottom
- An inside mount is when the blind or shade is installed within the window casing
itself (some price lists and reference materials may also refer to an inside mount as IB)
- An outside mount is when the blind or shade is installed outside the window casing, covering an area larger than the window itself (some price lists and reference materials may also refer to an outside mount as OB). Be sure the measurement overlaps the window opening by at least 1 1/2" (3" total overlap) to ensure privacy and light control